Sunday, March 10, 2013

Celebrity Lookalikes?

Apparently Taner Fowler's mother thinks I look like Zach Galifianakis.

Now, for the 99.99% of people that I just completely lost with that non-sequitor...

I took advantage of the absolutely wonderful weather we had this afternoon to take in the University of Louisville Softball game against Illinois State.  Louisville won, pretty easily, but that's not terribly relevant to this post.

When I walked into Ulmer Stadium, where UofL Softball plays, I saw a couple of people that I sort of know, but not well enough to go sit with, so I picked a random seat and sat down.  A few minutes later, a couple walked in, waved to a couple that were sitting almost directly behind me, came up and sat down with them and the two women started up a conversation that continued without pause through the whole game.

I wasn't trying to eavesdrop, but they were sitting directly behind me, so I got partially included in various parts of the conversation over the next hour or so, mostly when it came to commentary about the game.  I didn't explicitly introduce myself, nor did they...friendly exchange of comments with nearby random people seems to be de rigueur at UofL softball games...but it became apparent that the woman who was there when I first sat down is Taner Fowler's mother.  I don't guess I know for sure that my assessment of this being Taner's mother is accurate, but I'm going to run with it as a conclusion that I'm pretty confident with.

Wait, some of you are still probably lost.  Taner is a junior catcher/utility player on the UofL Softball team.

OK, we're all up to speed now?

At one point during the game, Taner's mother tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I had seen the movie "The Hangover", "Surely you have", she said.  "No, I don't really see too many movies," I responded.  "Oh, well, you look just like the character 'Alan' in that movie, and that's one of Taner's favorite movies.  I'm going to text her and tell her that 'Alan' from "The Hangover" is in the stands."

I asked her if she knew the name of the actor who played that character, and she didn't.  If only I had a device that could access a website with a huge database of who plays what character in just about every movie and TV show ever known.  About a minute later, I had the answer, Zach Galifianakis.  "Huh, I don't really see it, but thanks" says I, figuring its pretty much a compliment to be compared to any major hollywood actor.

This is roughly what my mental image of Zach Galifianakis was during this conversation.


And here's me, taken with the web cam on my Mac this evening.  I can see where there are a few facial features that are similar, but its not like we're long lost twins or anything.

Another picture of Zach that I found using Google Image Search and IMDB.

OK, maybe she has a point.

And maybe its time for me to get a haircut and trim my beard back a bit.

2 comments:

vivian said...

I think the haircut/beard idea is a good one.

Cardinal Couple said...

And we all assumed you were one of the original members of Bachman-Turnover Overdrive...it's obvious that your next look is to go clean-shaven, develop male-pattern baldness and buy a set of wire-rimmed glasses. We'll call you George Constanza.

Hi, buddy!
Paulie